The personal information is collected as authorized under, and will be handled and processed in compliance with, applicable privacy law. More specifically, such information will be used for the purpose of understanding, promoting, leveraging, supporting, and developing Edmonton’s innovation ecosystem, and supporting and delivering Edmonton Unlimited programs and services. Questions concerning the collection, use or disclosure of this information should be directed to our Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Collection of Personal Information
In this Policy, “personal information” means information about an identifiable individual, such as their name, personal contact details and other information about that individual that can be used to identify them. Personal information in Canada does not include information to enable an individual at a place of business to be contacted, such as their name, position name or title, business telephone number, business address or business email address.
Edmonton Unlimited collects personal information for the purposes of developing, promoting and enhancing programs, services and other opportunities for our audiences; reporting to funding bodies including Alberta Innovates; better understanding the innovation ecosystem; and other activities directly related to our vision and mission. We will only collect personal information as permitted under applicable privacy legislation. The type of personal information we collect will vary depending on your interactions with us and the programs and services we provide to you, but may include for example your name, address, phone number, email address, gender, or date of birth. Personal information collected by Edmonton Unlimited is kept only for the length of time necessary to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected.
Edmonton Unlimited’s websites do not automatically gather any personal information from you, such as your name, phone number or email address, without your explicit permission.
Your personal information is only collected by Edmonton Unlimited if you provide it voluntarily, through contacting us via email, or through submission via an online form. Any personal information you do provide to us is managed in accordance with applicable privacy law. This means that, at the point of collection, you will be informed that your personal information is being collected, the purpose for which it is being collected, how it will be used and/or disclosed, and that you have a right of access to the collected personal information.
In certain circumstances, we may obtain or access personal information about you from third parties. By way of example, we may in some limited circumstances access information about you from third parties we may engage to provide payment processing or authorization services, or identity verification or fraud screening services.
Information collected automatically via the Internet
Edmonton Unlimited logs http requests to our server. These logs capture computer information, navigation and clickstream data.
Some of the information collected does not identify who you are. Other information, such as your domain name or IP address, may identify you depending on the naming standards followed by your Internet service provider. You may wish to ask your internet service provider about their policies and practices.
Although we make no attempt to link the information so captured to the identity of individuals, the information captured does identify the following:
- the Internet domain and IP address from which you access our website
- the type of browser and operating system used to access our site
- screen resolution of your monitor
- the date and time you access our site
- the pages you visit
- the address of any website from which you linked to the Edmonton Unlimited website
This information is used in an aggregated manner to help us make our site more useful to visitors and users by learning about the number of visitors to our site, and by monitoring traffic patterns and the types of technology our visitors use. We do not track or record information about specific individuals and their visits. The visitor information outlined above is not disclosed to anyone except Edmonton Unlimited personnel who need the information for legitimate business purposes such as responding to a request.
Edmonton Unlimited uses Google Analytics to gather statistics on portions of its websites. Edmonton Unlimited uses the information gathered to improve digital services for its users.
Google Analytics employs cookies to define user sessions, which allows for the collection of important data about how our visitors are using our websites. Google Analytics uses only first-party cookies for data analysis. This means that the cookies are linked to Edmonton Unlimited’s website domain(s), and Edmonton Unlimited will only use the collected data and cookies in the aggregate, for non-individual statistical analysis related to your browsing behaviour.
Information collected via email and web forms
Should you choose to provide us with personal information – as in via email or by filling out a form and submitting it to us through any of our websites – we will use that information to respond to your message and to help us locate and provide the information you have requested. Messages sent via the Internet can be intercepted. If you are concerned about sending your personal information to us via the Internet, you can use another method such as phone, fax or regular mail.
Edmonton Unlimited does not collect personal information for the purpose of sale or distribution to any third parties or private organizations. Personal information collected by Edmonton Unlimited is not otherwise disclosed externally, unless:
- you have given your consent,
- disclosure is required or permitted by law, or
- it is in our legitimate interests to do so, including for the operation, maintenance and development of this website, to defend and protect our legal rights, to develop and improve the goods and services provided by Startup Edmonton, and to raise awareness of Edmonton Unlimited and its underlying aims and objectives, provided such interests are not overridden by your privacy rights.
Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, Edmonton Unlimited may share limited personal information, and non-identifying aggregate or statistical data compiled using personal information, with its funding bodies such as Western Economic Diversification Canada (PrairiesCan), Alberta Innovates, and City of Edmonton for the purpose of meeting applicable reporting requirements.
Use of Personal Information
We generally use personal information for purposes related to managing and developing our operations, including to:
- establish and manage our relationship with you, including to offer, provide you with information about, and provide our programs and services;
- authenticate information provided by you, and verify your identity and the accuracy of your personal information;
- enable you to access and use our websites;
- protect our rights and the rights of other users;
- detect and investigate security breaches, protect against, detect, investigate and prevent potentially fraudulent, unauthorized or illegal activities, or cooperate with government and law enforcement authorities in connection with legal matters;
- aggregate and anonymize the personal information; and
- for other purposes related to our relationship, where you have provided your consent or as otherwise permitted or required by applicable law.
Sharing of Personal Information
We may disclose or share the personal information that we may collect about you in the following circumstances:
- with third party service providers and partners that help us to provide our website, programs and services, including our third-party technology partners providing website hosting, data warehousing, data analysis, event logging and other information technology, customer service, payment processing, user analytics and email delivery and messaging;
- to third parties to verify your identity and provide you with programs and services (as appropriate and required);
- in connection with protecting our rights and property, including for security breach, loss or fraud prevention, investigation or mitigation purposes;
- if a law, regulation, search warrant, subpoena or court order legally requires or authorizes us to do so;
- with a third party, in the event of a change in ownership of all or a part of us through some form of merger, purchase, sale, lease or amalgamation or other form of business combination, provided that the parties are bound by appropriate agreements or obligations which require them to use or disclose your personal information in a manner consistent with the use and disclosure provisions of this Policy, unless you indicate otherwise;
- protecting the safety of a person or a group of persons; and
We use reasonable and appropriate measures designed to help you secure your personal information against loss or accidental, unauthorized or unlawful access, use or disclosure. Only our staff and service providers who have a legitimate business purpose for accessing the personal information collected by us are authorized to do so. Unauthorized use of personal information by anyone affiliated with Edmonton Unlimited is prohibited and constitutes grounds for disciplinary action.
Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed as completely secure. While we strive to protect such information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information transmitted to us and you do so at your own risk.
For website security purposes, Edmonton Unlimited employs software programs to monitor network traffic that identifies unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage. Except for authorized law enforcement investigations, no other attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits.
Privacy and links to other sites
Location of Personal Information
Personal information we collect is stored and processed by us primarily in Canada. However, we also use third party service providers, such as technology partners, that may use, process and store your personal information in another country, including the United States. Please be aware that personal information provided to third parties outside of Canada is subject to the laws of those jurisdictions and may not be afforded the same legal protections that are available in Canada. In those cases, we will put appropriate contractual and other controls in place with our third-party service providers to protect your personal information, as required by applicable laws.
By using our websites or otherwise submitting your personal information to us, you hereby consent to the transmission, processing and/or storage of personal information outside of Canada as indicated above.
Changes to this Policy
Access to and Correction of Personal Information
You have the right to know what personal information we have about you and to correct any inaccuracies. Please direct any such requests to the link under the heading “Getting More Information”.
Getting More Information