Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Edmonton Unlimited is the municipal innovation agency for the City of Edmonton and works to create, curate, and deliver free programs, community events, and support that Edmonton’s innovators and problem-solvers need to turn their ideas into solutions. By working collaboratively across various stakeholders in industry, academia, civil society, and leading peer cities, Edmonton Unlimited is fostering a rich innovation ecosystem for the benefit of all and mobilizing innovation communities for maximum international impact.
We are a city of innovators tackling great global challenges securing a sustainable economic future for Edmonton residents, communities, and companies. Together, we are positioning Edmonton as an inclusive, global innovation capital!
- Reporting to the CEO, the Vice President, Marketing & Community Relations is responsible for positioning Edmonton as an inclusive global innovation capital: locally to innovators and ecosystem partners, sponsors, Edmontonians, elected officials, and the media; and globally to innovation markets and investors. This position oversees the development, launch, and execution of marketing and public relations, marketing intelligence and performance reporting, government relations, community engagement, and partnership and sponsorship programs and strategies that build upon Edmonton’s innovation brand and positioning.
Your Key Accountabilities
- Promotes an equitable, diverse, and inclusive work environment, and contributes to Edmonton Unlimited’s ongoing pursuit of Reconciliation.
- Lead a first class marketing team.
- Oversees marketing, communications, and research strategies and programs.
- Collaborates with local and international innovation influencers and service providers to advance Edmonton’s global innovation positioning.
- Measures, reports, and optimizes program performance, and leads discovery and adoption of emerging marketing and communications technologies.
- Creates and implements a media relations strategy to enhance the prestige and brand awareness of Edmonton as an inclusive global innovation capital, locally, nationally, and internationally.
- Supports the CEO with external speaking engagement preparation, Board of Directors, and Shareholder communications, as necessary.
- Oversees engagement with Edmonton’s innovation communities and companies to identify needs and challenges to develop and deliver appropriate solutions through events, programs, and engagement activities, including our flagship Edmonton Startup Week.
- Oversees development and delivery of sponsorship and partnership programs and fundraising for events, programs, and engagement that benefits Edmonton’s local innovation communities.
- Sources, manages, and fosters a relationship with our portfolio of partner and sponsors, and actively engages prospective partnerships for sponsor dollars.
- Oversees the development and delivery of marketing insights and performance results, trends, and forecasts, used for external communications and for reporting to Edmonton City Council as Shareholder.
- Builds upon local innovation awareness and placemaking strategies to cultivate Edmonton’s innovation identity and advance innovation in the public realm.
- Leads the budget preparation process for the Marketing & Community Relations department and participates in Edmonton Unlimited’s overall strategic planning and budget preparation offering marketing and community relations perspective.
- Leads in showcasing and storytelling for Edmonton as global innovation capital, for Edmonton Unlimited programs, and for local innovators.
- Represents Edmonton Unlimited on external boards and committees, as assigned.
- Mission-driven and impact-focused.
- Advanced Degree in Marketing, Business, or related field (equivalent on-the-job experience will be considered).
- 10+ years of agency wide leadership in a senior marketing position.
- Documented ability to effortlessly jump back and forth between the creative and analytical sides of economic development.
- Excels in a start-up environment with flat organizational structure and strong interdepartmental collaboration.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Competency in digital applications.
- Innovator by nature.
Edmonton Unlimited is cultivating a diverse and collaborative work culture that supports and celebrates innovation at all levels. We continuously strive for excellence, attracting top-talent, and are committed to providing team members with meaningful and challenging work in an open and inclusive environment.
How to Apply
Your resume and cover letter can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, September 28, 2023. Please be sure to address the role of innovation in your life and work.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Edmonton Unlimited is committed to a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. As an equal opportunity, equal pay, and equal rights employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.